A Knox Box is a secure container used for storing keys for building access. In case of an emergency, the Northlake Fire Protection District can access the box with a master key. The box features a high-security Medeco lock and keys. The Medeco locking system guards against unauthorized key duplication. Once the residence’s key is placed inside and locked, only the Fire District will have access to that key.
Knox Boxes provide rapid access into the home without causing unnecessary forcible entry damage to doors or windows. They enhance the Fire District’s ability to protect the health and safety of the public. Independent senior citizens and disabled residents receive quick access by the Fire District for fire and medical emergencies. Emergency information can be made available through our dispatchers and relayed to our firefighters/paramedics while en route to the call for help. This saves critical time during an emergency.
The residence on which the Knox Box will be mounted must reside within the Northlake Fire Protection District’s jurisdiction. Look at this map for our District’s boundaries. If you have any questions if your house is within our boundaries, please feel free to give us a call.
- Contact Firefighter Scott Michael to verify that your residence is located in the Northlake Fire Protection District.
(708) 562-3182 // residentialknoxbox (at) ntlkfire (dot) com
- Order a Knox Box Home Box
– Go to the Knox Box website
– Click on “Order”
– In the drop down box, click “Illinois”
– In the next drop down box, click “Northlake”
– In the final drop down box, click “Serving Zip Codes: 60164”
– Choose the style you prefer and purchase it.
- Once you receive your box, install or mount it within close proxiity to the door in which the key will open. Ensure that the box is at least five feet above ground level but at a height easily accessible in an emergency situation.
- An Emergency Contact Form (see below) needs to be completed prior to activation. Please keep the form updated. Feel free to email or mail it to us when you need to update any of the information.
- Once the box is mounted or installed, please call the station. You may speak to the Lieutenant on duty to make arrangements to meet you at your home and place the key in the Knox Box. Please do not bring the key to the station.
If you have any questions please feel free to give us a call!